Kate Middleton hides her emotions behind sunglasses as she leaves Windsor Castle

  • Kate had decided to stay in Windsor with George, Charlotte and Louis who have started at their new school
  • Prince William is heading home to be with his wife and children after rushing to Balmoral to see grandmother
  • The Duke of Sussex landed alone at Aberdeen Airport after the announcement of Queen’s death was made
  • Harry arrived at Balmoral at just before 8pm last night. He left for Windsor at around 8.28am today
  • The Sussexes’ spokesman had initially said the couple would go together – before last minute change of plan

The grieving Princess of Wales wore sunglasses today as she was seen for the first time since the death of the Queen.

Kate, who was demure in black, was spotted driving to pick up her three children from school after their first week at Lambrook near Ascot this afternoon.

The death of their great-grandmother the Queen will be a heavy blow to Prince George, nine, Princess Charlotte, seven, and four-year-old Prince Louis, as they and their parents begin a new life at Adelaide Cottage in the grounds of Windsor Castle – where Her Majesty spent most of the year.

On Tuesday ‘the gang’, as they call themselves, chased up the steps of their new prep, prompting beams of delight from William and Kate who held their hands when they arrived. Within 48 hours the country was in mourning – but the Duchess decided to stay in Windsor to support the children at school as William flew to Aberdeenshire on a RAF jet.

Prince William, now heir to the throne, is returning home from Balmoral to be with his family after rushing to Scotland to see his grandmother before she died.

He will attend the Accession Council in London tomorrow, where his father Charles III will be officially proclaimed King.

Meanwhile, Charles today named his son and daughter-in-law the new Prince and Princess of Wales in his first address to the nation as King.

William’s younger brother Harry also raced to Scotland – alone – but Her Majesty’s death was announced while he was on approach to Aberdeen in a private jet. He spent 12 hours at Balmoral before returning to Windsor to be with Meghan.

Harry is reunited with Meghan today after a flying visit to Balmoral to pay his respects to his grandmother the Queen – as it was claimed the Sussexes will stay in Britain for another ten days until the state funeral.

The Duke of Sussex had grief etched on his face as he was swept into the grounds of Windsor Castle this afternoon after losing a race against time to get to his grandmother’s bedside before she died yesterday.

King Charles III went to Buckingham Palace to meet fellow mourners this afternoon where he shook hands and accepted their condolences to cries of ‘God save the King’ and impromptu renditions of the national anthem. One woman kissed him on the cheek. He also inspected flowers and tributes left for his late mother at the gates before entering the palace.

Harry landed at Heathrow this lunchtime after jumping on an early morning BA flight where he comforted an airport worker with a reassuring hand on her shoulder after she gave him her condolences.

He left Balmoral after 12 hours mourning his grandmother with his father and brother – but despite the brevity of the visit, the Sussexes are not expected to return to California until after the state funeral, currently expected to be ten days from now on Monday, September 19.

The Duke of Sussex was the last royal to arrive at the Aberdeenshire castle last night and the first to leave this morning.

Today the world mourns the death of Britain’s longest-reigning monarch as her son accedes to the throne. The Queen’s coffin – draped in the Royal Standard with a wreath of her favourite flowers on top – is believed to be at rest in the ballroom of Balmoral, where she spent every summer with her beloved Prince Philip.

The King and the Queen Consort, Camilla, have left for London where the monarch will meet the Prime Minister before addressing the nation. His siblings remain at Balmoral.

A Buckingham Palace source told MailOnline: ‘King Charles must return to London to attend to matters of state. But the other senior royal will spend a day of quiet reflection at Balmoral Castle.’ King Charles III will be proclaimed at the Accession Council at 10am tomorrow in the State Apartments of St James’s Palace.

Harry headed back to Meghan at 8.28am, where he was sat alone in the rear of a Range Rover as he was driven out of the Royal Family’s Scottish home, where he had arrived at 7.52pm last night. He was swept into Aberdeen airport at 9.20am, led by five police outriders, and boarded a flight to London leaving at 10am.

Harry wore a black suit and carried a shoulder bag as he walked towards the steps of the plane. An airport worker offered her sympathies as the Prince was about to walk up the steps of a British Airways aircraft.

The woman, who was dressed in a high- visibility yellow jacket, addressed Prince Harry. The royal smiled and patted her gently in the shoulder before boarding the aircraft for London’s Heathrow Airport.

Grief was written on the Duke of Sussex’s face after he landed in Scotland yesterday – 15 minutes after Her Majesty’s death was announced to the world. He had his head bowed and partially covered his face as he was driven out of Aberdeen airport, arriving at Balmoral after dark. He left 12 hours later.

The Sussexes, whose comments since Megxit has caused a rift with the royals, especially William, were not expected to see any members of the Royal Family – despite staying yards from the Waleses during their pseudo-royal tour of Europe – until yesterday’s tragedy.

Prince William had flown up on a RAF jet with Prince Andrew, Prince Edward and his wife Sophie. But it is understood that they did not reach the estate before she passed. Initial reports had said his younger brother would also be on board.

But instead Harry was in mid air when Buckingham Palace announced the death of his beloved grandmother. He flew by private jet from Luton Airport, arriving at Balmoral an hour and a half after the historic statement.

Courtiers issued the declaration at 6.30pm – just over an hour after Prince William and other senior royals had arrived to join Prince Charles at the Queen’s residence. Liz Truss was told at around 4.30pm, Downing Street said.

But when the world was being told the saddest of news, Harry’s Cessna was still in the air, making its approach to Aberdeen Airport.

The Duke of Sussex’s flight had been due to land at 6.29pm, a minute before the statement. But it was 20 minutes late taking off from London’s Luton Airport – with flight data showing it departed at 5.35pm. It took one hour and 11 minutes to reach Aberdeen.

By the time he landed, at 6.46pm, it was 16 minutes after the palace had made the announcement.

Harry then faced a lonely drive to the castle, finally arriving at 7.52pm where he joined other members of the Royal Family in mourning the Queen’s death.

He looked ashen-faced on the back seat of the Range Rover as it swept into the Balmoral estate. As well as losing a beloved grandmother, he may have been reflecting on his future without her as monarch. She remained fond of him, in spite of recent challenges, and he was said to have retained an ability to make her laugh.

By the time he arrived, his and Meghan’s Archewell website homepage had been replaced with a respectful blackedout page with the words: ‘In loving memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022.’

Earlier in the day there had been confusion over whether Meghan was also on her way to Scotland.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top